Friday, August 12, 2011

Why do we African Americans reject Sub Saharan Africa but take pride in Egypt like it's where we're from?

I'm Afircan American, too, and I understand all your points. Now that you mention it, more of North Africa is mentioned rather than the rest of Africa. Even if they do go over other parts of Africa, it's not that much. If we want to know and learn more, we would have to take a separate course that gets deep into the studies, most likely in college. Sadly, most people won't waste the time or money when they are focusing on their major, and most times people see history as boring. I think some of it is interesting. I wish to learn more about my culture and where I came from. Wish I could get one of those dna tests lol but usually only celebrities have the money for that. So, I guess I will just be proud of what I know I am :) Thanks for sharing your point, I never looked at it from that way. I think many of the African cultures are interesting. Although I find Egypt fasinating, I hear and learn good things about Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia etc. :) Arica is still Africa. Back then, no one liked mentioning Africa. Mixed race or not, the continent is very ancient and very diverse with many things still left undiscovered. I believe many Black Africans did GREAT things. Just the media doesn't want to let the general public know that, so, you would have to do more research to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment